About Me

My photo
This is a blog mainly for me to get my voice out there, and for me to be opinionated about music!

Saturday 13 November 2010

Come around Kings?


Good morning! (… or good afternoon or good night! Which ever suits you best!)
This blog is going to focus on the latest Kings of Leon release Come Around Sundown’.
As I sit here writing notes about the intricacy of the tracks, and the subtlety inbuilt into this album, I find myself wondering….. “What the hell am I doing writing notes when I could be enjoying new Kings of Leon Tunes!?? ”
The album comes as the bands fifth release off the back of the extremely successful 2008 ‘Only by the Night’, and will defiantly disappoint some fans that were hoping for another ‘Sex on Fire’ fuled alternative rock-fest.
This album has come under wide criticism for its lack of headline busting tracks, and its mellow Southern soulfulness. However in light of the previous KoL releases I am really not surprised by it. I, like many, am the first to admit I was slow on the uptake when it comes to the Kings of Leon. It was their 2007 hit ‘On Call’, from their third release Because of the Times, which alerted me to the deep, edgy lyrics, and ruthless guitar riffs, which was something I hadn’t heard performed so fascinatingly since first hearing The Rolling Stones ‘Brown Sugar’.
The back catalogue continues this trend of gritty, yet tenderly composed Southern infused indie. The foundations for ‘Come Around Sundown’ can clearly be heard through these releases. Seeing such tracks as ‘Trani’ and ‘Milk’ from ‘Youth and Young Manhood’ and ‘Aha Shake Heartbreak’ respectively, being clear forerunners for many of the tracks on this album.
It came as no surprise to me that the KoL have deliberately slowed their tempo, so as to almost re-find their routes in Nashville-based blues/indie. The album feels like a group of tracks specifically designed for live performances, after finally cracking their native U.S. it appears to be a strategic positioning to attempt to perfect their live set.
This is an album you really shouldn’t make a split second judgement on!

The intimacy of some of the album tracks, such as ‘The Face’ is something I feel needs time and some patience to really appreciate. The headline tracks are typically strong KoL, the first single ‘Radioactive’ boasts a punchy guitar riff, and intricate lyrics. However for me the biggest track on the album is the first, almost ironically titled, ‘The End’. The track bludgeons you with Calebs’s cries of “I aint got a home”, and I feel sets the scene of an omniscient moment of power felt by the front man during a gig, when he holds all the crowd in the palm of his hand toying with their emotions, “Sitting on your throne”. I personally equate this track to the likes of Jay-Z’s ‘Encore’… by creating the feeling of ‘The End’ [of the gig], and the loss that comes hand in hand with this, exhilarates andthe raw passion of the audience hits fever pitch! (Before slamming us with some of our favourites as their encore to finish). A real roller coaster of emotion, this is one of my favourite tracks! ‘The Immortals’ is a track I feel is worthy of mention as one of the strongest tracks on the album.
But sadly it is those tracks that didn’t quite entice and tease the way ‘Use Somebody’, and ‘Crawl’s’ raw muscle previously overpowered us.
Tracks such as ‘Back Down South’ and ‘Mi Amigo’ show a little too much moody melodrama to be any more than fillers (something I DIDN’T enjoy saying!! But that’s just how these offering feel).
I personally like this album! In terms of a live set, some of these songs would sit well with the KoL stylistics and unique manner. I also think with perseverance, it is effortless to find yourself falling in love with the easy, blues nature of tracks like ‘No Money’ and ‘Birthday’. As my friend Mark Davies says, ‘This album is a Grower!’
Cheers for reading! Let me know what you think with a comment, or simply if you have an idea of an album you’d like to see blogged about! 
Tx

No comments:

Post a Comment